Job ID: 10333
Performs vegetation and landscaping work within the active railway corridor and through construction zones. Using arborist knowledge in consideration with specific railway operating rules, instructions and techniques, this position ensures that contractors clear the working zone prior to the approach of a train minimizing any delays to scheduled railway operations.
Primary/Essential Responsibilities and Duties
• Embrace our safety culture and adhering to industry and company policies and procedures.
• Participate in daily job briefings to understand site specific instructions prior to commencing work.
• Evaluate the condition of various types of vegetation and execute appropriate actions to prune, hedge, remove or protect the vegetation.
• Apply pesticides and herbicides within the railway Right-of-Way.
• Conduct various landscaping work within the railway Right-of-Way.
• Perform other maintenance activities within the railway Right-of-Way as required.
• Review the work site on a minimum daily basis and consults with Supervisor and/or contractor’s representative to understand work being conducted, and any potential hazards.
• Responsibly operate company vehicles and ensure all daily maintenance and inspections of the units are completed
• Perform special duties as assigned by the Supervisor or a designate.
• Perform any administrative duties related to proper documentation.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
• A minimum of 2 years related landscaping or construction experience.
• Proof of arborist certification. Degree in arboriculture, urban forestry, environmental conservation, or horticulture is an asset.
• Knowledge of railway operating rules and practices is a strong asset.
• Ability to read and understand specific documents including schedules, standards and specifications.
• Ability to work safely within the railway corridor.
• Ability to work safely with different types of vegetation. Work at heights may be required.
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work being performed.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Valid Ontario class G driver’s license.
• Work outdoors at construction sites.
• Frequently stands, walks, climbs, balances, lifts, bends, and moves objects up to 50 pounds.
• Operation of chainsaw, lawn mower, hand and power tools.
• Exposure to all weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
• Exposure to loud noise.
• Exposure to live track/trains and high voltage.
• Ability to work on rotating shifts.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
PNR RailWorks Inc. is committed to fostering an equitable, accessible, and inclusive workplace. As such, PNR RailWorks Inc. will ensure reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities throughout the hiring process, including the interview. If selected for an interview, requests for accommodation can be confidentially made to a member of the recruitment team who will arrange in advance for reasonable and appropriate accommodation for fair and equitable assessment throughout the process.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with PNR RailWorks without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law.