Job Title: Building Superintendent
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Business Unit: Minto Apartment REIT
Why join Minto?
We are an award winning, and fully integrated real estate company, offering new homes and condos, rentals, furnished suites, property and investment management. Since our humble beginnings in 1955, we’ve built over 85,000 new homes, manage 8,800 rental units, and carry 2.5 million square feet of commercial space. Our investment management portfolio spans $2.5 billion in assets. With over 1,100 employees in Canada and the southern USA, we proudly build better places for people to live, work and play, one home and one relationship at a time, collectively embracing our values – Accomplishment, Courage, Innovation, and Partnership -- in all that we do.
As we continue to evolve and grow, we are faced with an ever changing environment where there is ample opportunity to try something new. We believe in hiring the best people who are as committed to creating incredible experiences for our customers as we are. We pride ourselves on flexibility – extending beyond a competitive total rewards package, to include a platform for career and professional development, a reward and recognition program, tuition and professional designation reimbursement, employee discounts on new homes and rentals, flexible summer hours, and so much more. Join us to find out how you can be a part of it all!
The Opportunity OR What we’re looking for:
The Superintendent lives and works in the community and is responsible for contributing to best in class customer experience by performing general building maintenance and repairs, for all in-suite and common areas as assigned by the Maintenance Service Coordinator.
What you’ll be responsible for day to day:
• 24-hour on-call emergency response coverage is required on a rotating basis;
• Monitors the condition of and addresses any deficiencies in, the interior and exterior of the property;
• Completes scheduled preventative maintenance inspections of building envelope and mechanical systems and equipment, recording readings and observations;
• Monitors performance of external contractors to ensure quality workmanship and customer service excellence;
• Performs resident service requests in addition to routine repairs and maintenance for in-suite, interior and exterior common areas,
• Maintain the cleanliness and organization of all electrical, mechanical and other work areas as well as Supply and Storage areas;
• Administrative duties include using our ERP tool, SAP, to document service requests and the resolution thereof;
• Completes turnover suite inspections and completes repairs and maintenance of vacant suites;
• Available to residents for general inquiries about living in their suite, building and community;
• May be required to perform minor cleaning and minor maintenance duties, where applicable;
• Must be familiar with the community rules and regulations;
• Perform all facets of the job in accordance with the legislation applicable to the jurisdiction, including: Health and Safety standards, WHMIS, AODA, PIPEDA and Human Rights;
• Other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by management.
Who we’re looking for:
Education: High school is required. A trade certificate or license would be considered an asset.
Experience: A minimum of two years of relevant work experience or an apprenticeship or combination thereof.
Specialized Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Ability to complete appliance repairs, routine plumbing repairs, repairs and maintenance requiring carpentry skills, painting, and basic electrical repairs
• Attention to detail
• Ability to safely use and maintain tools of the job
• Knowledge of mechanical and HVAC systems
• Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook
• Communication skills (listening, verbal and written)
• Problem Solving skills
• Good Judgment
• Interpersonal skills
• Shows Initiative and demonstrates sense of ownership
Minto is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. Should you require accommodation or support in any aspect of our recruitment and selection process, we will work with you to meet your needs.