• Update and maintain the Branch’s existing legislative compliance management framework database to assess adherence with applicable regulatory requirements (e.g. Insurance Companies Act, OSFI Guidelines, PIPEDA, Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) Act, Agency Market Conduct requirements, etc.);
• Maintain privacy log, assist in the handling of privacy-related complaints and investigations and respond to information requests;
• Identify and recommend necessary changes to business unit policies and procedures to address compliance gaps and/or improve adherence to regulatory or policy requirements;
• Independently assess the effectiveness of business regulatory compliance controls via internal control audits based on pre-established guidelines;
• Review complaint data and produce reports for analysis of trends. Review complaint files from various departments to ensure completeness and perform root cause analysis;
• Continually monitor applicable regulatory and legislative changes. Analyse and communicate those changes to business units and assist with timely implementation;
• Assist with the administration of weekly OFAC scanning in order to comply with Anti-Money Laundering legislation;
• Assist with completing regulatory filings and reporting to regulators;
• Provide day-to-day compliance support, advice and guidance to business units;
• Other miscellaneous tasks: perform semi-annual effectiveness testing, maintain Unclaimed Property database, tracking of policies & procedures, maintenance of risk register, etc.
• Bilingual (English, French) with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Completed college degree and minimum of 3 years of experience in insurance/financial services industry or equivalent relevant work experience (Compliance, Legal, Audit or Operational Risk function);
• Solid research, analytical and organizational skills and the ability to interpret legislation and policy;
• Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) with a strong working knowledge of Excel;
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with a broad range of individuals at all levels;
• Highly organized with an ability to manage deadlines, multi-task, prioritize and adapt well to multiple projects and/or activities;
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality at all times.
• Experience with compliance internal control audits/inspections
• Understanding of operational risk management objectives
• Insurance licenses, certifications, etc.
• Knowledge of Ethidex and FileMaker Pro