The General Machinist position, under general supervision, is responsible for setting up, operating, and adjusting various types of conventional or automatic machines including lathes, drill presses, grinders, and other precision equipment. Primarily accountable for working from drawings and written instructions to create replacement and new parts in making complex repairs to metal parts as well as for experimental apparatus or prototype equipment. This position may provide technical guidance and assist in training less experienced machinists.
Powering Vehicles, Motion, Work, and Lives since 1966.
· Fit and assemble machined parts into complete units.
· Compute dimensions and tolerances to measure and lay out work pieces.
· Calculate and set controls to regulate speeds and feeds in order to complete work in a controlled and safe manner.
· Perform Pre-use and TPM inspections at the start of each shift and report any sub-standard conditions or hazards found to supervisor.
· Verify dimensions of machined parts or tolling for accuracy and conformance to specifications using precision measuring instruments such as; micrometers, verniers, calipers, height gauges, optical comparators or other specialized instruments.
· Perform regular maintenance and cleaning of all conventional equipment as needed.
· Maintain sufficient tool room inventory.
· Monitor Adherence and ensure compliance to Policies and Procedures.
· Work in a professional and cooperative manner with co-workers and management.
· High School Diploma or equivalent general education.
· General machinist license or enrolled in apprenticeship program.
· Minimum five years experience in a conventional machining environment.
· Able to set-up and operate all applicable conventional equipment.
· Able to make close tolerance parts and repair & build jigs & fixtures.
· Able to use all necessary measuring equipment.
· Understand the production environment and how to prioritize the necessary tasks for completion.
· Apply knowledge of machine shop theory and procedures, shop, mathematics, machine ability of materials and layout techniques, using all conventional equipment.
· Read and interpret blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, and specifications.
· Excellent comprehension skills in order to read write and interpret all drawings and schematics.
· Basic understanding of machine controls.
· Use a computer to confirm measurements or adjust computer control (CNC) machinery used to cut metal to specifications.
· Ability to learn new specifications and procedures through on-the-job training and experience.
What Linamar Has To Offer
· Opportunities for career advancement.
· Community based outreach supporting both local and global initiatives and charities.
· Social committees and sports teams.
· Discounts for local vendors and events, including auto supplier discounts.
Linamar Corporation is a Canadian diversified global manufacturing company of highly engineered products across global industries & markets. From the entrepreneurial seeds planted by our dynamic founder, to the support provided along the way, all Linamar employees are poised for success in this fast-paced and rapidly growing environment. With access to the tools you need to succeed, you will make an impact along with other motivated and engaged people.
Linamar is committed to promoting accessible recruitment as outlined in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Linamar will attempt to accommodate persons with a disability in an appropriate and effective manner throughout all stages of the recruitment process. Accommodations will be provided upon request.