Working for BBA means being part of a team of talented people who have the passion to succeed and the drive to excel in order to provide first-class service to clients.
Recognized for its extensive field experience and cutting-edge expertise, BBA has been delivering a comprehensive range of consulting engineering services for 40 years, from studies and design to commissioning and operational support. Our firm is supported by a network of offices across Canada to carry out mandates at the local, national and international levels.
BBA provides a stimulating and friendly working atmosphere. We focus on building teams with complementary talents and provide employees with a work environment conducive to developing their skills.
BBA is a Canada's Best Employer recipient from Kincentric and is part of the prestigious Platinum Club of the Best Managed Companies, which unites companies that have held onto their title for over six consecutive years. For BBA, making the list speaks to the rigour of our practices and our unique approach to employee and client relations.
To find out more about BBA, follow us on LinkedIn and connect with our talent acquisition specialists.
Type of position: Regular
Your role as an Intermediate Electrical Engineer will be to take part in engineering proposals and projects. You will also be responsible for ensuring the quality of professional services provided and maintaining good working relationships (internally with colleagues and externally with clients).
In such a position, we expect the candidate to have developed a good understanding of electrical design principles, codes and standards, as well as protection and control of systems and apparatus through various applications within the industry (energy, industrial, mining sector, etc.). The ideal candidate will have also been exposed to fieldwork, including testing and commissioning of electrical systems and equipment.
The successful candidate will carry out the following activities:
· Detailed engineering design of single line diagrams, block diagrams, schematics and wiring diagrams, cable schedules and layout drawings (electrical equipment, lighting, power, cable supporting, grounding etc.) for greenfield and brownfield projects
· Perform load calculations, voltage drop/cable sizing calculations, cable tray filling and cable pulling calculations.
· Perform power system and grounding studies and develop final reports
· Develop engineering specifications, design basis, design philosophies and MTOs construction work packages
· Review equipment shop drawings
· Participate in the preparation of feasibility studies
· Prepare engineering service estimates and support developing proposals
· Supervise and provide mentorship, through coaching and training, to junior engineers and designers
· Visit construction/plant sites and fabrication shops during the design phase on a required basis
· Meet clients and support scoping their CAPEX projects by advising on potential solutions
· Support clients in troubleshooting a trip event, equipment failure, etc.
· Provide construction support and perform pre-commissioning and start-up activities for electrical systems when required
· Excellent communication skills (written and spoken)
· Committed to the firm's success
· Business acumen
· Ability to make quality decisions
· Independent worker
· Field experience
· Engineering degree in electrical and P.Eng. license in Ontario
· From 5 to 7 years of professional experience in mining and infrastructure of underground and open-pit mines in a multi-discipline consulting engineering environment.
· Proficient in LV, MV and HV power distribution system design, substation design, electrical arrangements, motor controls, protection and control systems
· Experience in developing design criteria and engineering specifications (transformers, switchgears, motors, drives, mine power centers, etc.).
· Practical experience in performing electrical studies (grounding, protection coordination, short circuit, load flow, harmonics, arc flash, etc.).
· Additional experience in lighting, small power, grounding, cable supporting system, heat tracing design.
· Good knowledge of electrical design standards/codes (CSA, IEEE, ANSI/IEC, etc.), provincial and regional standards/codes (OESC, OBC, OFC, etc.)
· Field experience through on-site surveys, construction support, commissioning activities
· Ability to establish sound working relationships with co-workers, partners, clients and administrators
· Asset: Advanced engineering degree (M.Sc., etc.)
· Asset: Experience in performing engineering service estimates and preparing proposals
· Asset: Good project management and project control skills
· Asset: Broad experience in various industry sectors (oil and gas, renewable energy, industrial facilities, utilities, power generation)