Want to work in a start-up environment with the resources of Amazon behind you? Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on millions of customers every day? In this role, you will be a technical leader with massive impact. If you are a self-starter, enjoy building large scale distributed and orchestration systems, and are intrigued by ambiguous problems, look no further.
The Multichannel Ads team is building the next generation of products and services that will fuel the future growth of Amazon’s ad solutions. Based in beautiful Vancouver, our infrastructure team is developing innovations to support Amazon and 3rd party advertising across all types of mediums at massive scale. This is a chance to be in on a huge opportunity as we put an Amazon twist into online advertising.
As Sr. TPM in the Amazon Advertising team, you will be responsible for developing the next generation campaign management infrastructure which will spur innovation and fuel the future growth of Amazon Ad Solutions with an immediate impact on millions of customers every day. We are a fully managed Infrastructure As A Service team for any Amazon ad programs. Our team is responsible for owning, storing and dispatching of canonical model data for campaign management and provides infrastructure, tools and scale for other teams to develop features for their customers.
The right candidate for this role is someone who has both a strong technical background, and either technical management or program/product management background. You must be comfortable working with both service oriented architectures, and large, complex data sets. You must have a diverse set of unblocking tools and mechanisms, resulting in an ability to cultivate relationships and earn trust with teams both inside and outside of your overall organization. You must be able to thrive in both start-up and more mature business environments, be truth seeking, and be willing to not only operate strategically, but be willing to roll up your sleeves to get the job done yourself. No idea is too big for you to consider, and no task is too small for you to deliver on.
We're looking for entrepreneurial, innovative individuals who thrive on solving tough problems. We are investing in a deep technical team to pursue a transformation opportunity around advertising campaign management. The successful candidate will build upon technical skills and core program management successes.
A Technical Program Manager (TPM) will partner with engineers, other TPMs, Product Managers and senior management to help create world-class solutions. We're looking for people who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers, demonstrate a high degree of product ownership, and want to have fun while they make history. The ideal TPM is a creative, demonstrated leader with superior analytical abilities and an expeditious drive to deliver results. This opportunity requires deep technical, problem-solving and communication skills.
Specific skills we are looking for:
· Adept at getting things done in a startup environment with lots of ambiguity but also lots of opportunity
· Exceptional program management skills and attention to detail
· Ability to inspire teams to work on not just what’s urgent, but what’s most important
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to think strategically and act tactically
· Translate customer’s business requirements into technical/functional specifications for the engineers
· Ascertain the true requirements underlying feature requests; recommend alternative technical approaches and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines
· Participate in deep architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment for sales and marketing
· Capture, share and leverage your best practice knowledge across a broad group of engineers throughout all subsidiaries
· Partner as a technical liaison between customers and engineering teams
· Architectural design or system design experience independent of an architect
· 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
· Experience managing programs across cross functional teams, building processes and coordinating release schedules
· Experience driving roadmap strategy and definition
· 7+ years of technical program management experience
· Ambiguity: Business and/or architectural strategy may not be defined. May not even know what the problem is before starting. Drives clarity. Delivers with complete independence.
· Scope of Influence: Broad cross-organizational business and/or technology influence. Aligns teams and organizations towards simple, coherent approaches.
· Communication: Manages meetings effectively. Puts the right people in the room. Drives business and technical discussions. Is clear and concise in both verbal and written communication (e.g., functional/technical specifications, PR/FAQ, status reports, narratives, OP1/OP2). Trusted to present design and program decisions to leaders up to 3 tiers above level. Higher levels require ability to communicate across an increasing diversity of areas (e.g., legal, regulatory, finance, PR, external industry groups).
· Technical: Drives large engineering efforts that solve significantly complex or endemic problems. Identifies risks/opportunities in technical strategies, architecture(s) and/or in engineering organization structure(s).
· Process Improvement: Creates and optimizes cross-organizational structures and mechanisms to ensure long-term success. Decomposes complex processes into simple, straightforward solutions.
· Impact: Owns large programs with significant complexity or that have broad cross-organizational, architectural, or global impact. Improves how organizations interact to achieve business and technology goals.
· Execution: Defines business and/or technical strategy. Accelerates progress by creating simple structures for team cohesion. Manages escalations (Is escalated to.)
· Knowledge/Judgment: Deep knowledge of core system technologies in program domain and/or broad understanding of company systems. Applies knowledge to invent, evolve, improve, simplify, etc.
· Strong strategic aptitude; proven ability to define a winning business strategy and product roadmap
· Excellent customer experience intuition; demonstrated success in creating innovative and user-friendly applications and customer-facing features
· Excellent communication and persuasion skills; demonstrated success building buy-in for an innovative and bold vision
· Experience operating in a global environment
· Strong analytical and quantitative skills; strong bias towards data-based decision making and comfort with pro-forma financial and operational analysis
· Implementation orientation; demonstrated ability to translate strategic differentiators into innovative and detailed product requirements
· Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing architectural concepts, schedule tradeoffs and new opportunities with technical team members
· Proven ability to make smart feature (customer experience) versus time-to-market trade-offs; experience using data and metrics to back up assumptions and assertions of business value
· Nimbleness and comfort with ambiguity; comfort responding quickly to rapidly evolving threats and opportunities
· Strong bias for action; ability to juggle multiple priorities and create a sense of urgency in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
· Street smarts; willingness to roll up the sleeves and do whatever is necessary to meet team goals
· Proven ability to lead cross-functional teams through influence versus direct management; excellent interpersonal skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.