Sports Field Cultural Practice and General Maintenance Opportunities
Is a better community worth working for?
We certainly think so. We’re looking for seasonal workers to help make our green areas really shine. With your hands-on skills and our unrivaled dedication, we’re sure to hit our goals right out of the park.
Land a temp job with lasting impact.
Join the City of Markham from April 8th to October 31st and belong to a team that truly cares. Our strong commitment to training, health and safety is unmatched by any other municipality. Together, we’ll roll up our sleeves and improve our community for family, friends and neighbors alike.
We need staff to cover shifts from 5 a.m. to midnight 7 days a week so you can always count on 40 hours of work every week. We’re known for taking care of our people – and a set schedule is just the beginning. You’ll also get above-average pay ($26.73 per hour to start), work shirts, regular daily breaks, and a personal day. And it doesn’t stop there. You’ll also have access to everything you need – from new equipment to safety gear and we even provide the sunscreen.
This is a special opportunity to leave your mark on the parks and green areas around you. You’ll not only work alongside a friendly team, you’ll have the support, resources and tools you need to make our community proud.
Here’s a little taste of what you’ll do each day
Do you love the feeling of being out on the field? Why not consider one of our two temporary Sports Field Team Roles.
Specials Events Team Member:
• You’ll work as part of a team to set up and take down all the required equipment and items needed for special events and sports tournaments throughout the community.
• Special events can create a lot of garbage. We’ll need the team to keep any eye for refuse and removing garbage from the public bins.
• Safety is our top priority for our team members and the public. That’s why we need you to inspect the fields and public areas for any possible concerns.
Sports Field General Maintenance Team Member:
• You’ll maintain our sport-fields by aerating, fertilizing, over seeding, sodding and pruning.
• It’s important for our athletic teams to play on a well-prepared sports field so we’ll need you to line the fields and drag the ball diamonds.
• Safety is our top priority for our team members. That’s why we need you to work in pairs or as part of a team to inspect and maintain the pathways around the fields for any concerns.
Here’s how you know you’re a great fit
• You’re a natural leader and you need little supervision.
• You enjoy working with a team and you’re passionate about giving teammates the support they need to do a great job.
• You have a high school diploma or, something equivalent.
• It will be an advantage for you if you have post-secondary education in parks operations or a related field.
• You’ve got hands-on experience operating various grounds maintenance equipment used in parks and landscaping.
• You not only have your G driver license, but you’ll be able to prove you have a clean driver abstract before you join us. That means no demerit points and no more than one driving infraction on your drivers record.
• As we said, safety is important. You’ll already have, or are willing to get before you start, a Standard First Aid & CPR C certification from a WSIB approved provider.
• You have no problem with shift work – rain or shine.
o For our Sports Field Inspection role, you’ll work rotating shifts from Monday to Friday 3:30 pm to 12 am, Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 4 pm, Friday to Monday 1:30 pm to 12 am and finally, Friday to Monday, 5:30 am to 6 pm. We provide a shift premium.
o For our Sports Field General Maintenance role, you’ll work Monday to Friday between 7:30 am and 4 pm.
• We pleased to tell you we provide competitive earnings for our full-time temporary positions and that’s why you’ll start at $26.73 and increase to $27.18 per hour after 4 months.
*Note: Individuals must be available to start April 8, 2020 and commit to the full season (October 31, 2020).
We may decide that your expertise may be better utilized performing other duties within our Park Operations, so you may be re-assigned depending upon our needs and your skills.
Be part of something bigger. Join the City of Markham and help build our beautiful community. Apply now and before February 29, 2020 and make a lasting impact.
The City of Markham is a dynamic and change-oriented leader among Canadian municipalities. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as much as for our fiscal accountability. More than 320,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life. We are committed to inclusive employment practices at the City of Markham.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meets your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied, however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.
turf maintenance, grounds maintenance, landscaper, landscaping, golf course maintenance, grounds keeper, parks maintenance, general labourer, grass cutter and trimmer, grass cutting.