The Sr. Accommodation Consultant serves as an Accommodation SME between business lines, the Disability Leave Services (DLS) team, recruiting group, hiring teams, vendor partners, job seekers, applicants, and candidates. Sr. Accommodation Consultants are highly skilled in answering questions related to the Canadian Human Rights Act, understanding the applicant or candidate’s situation, responding to accommodation needs, and providing an inclusive pre-employment experience. This role will also provide consultation and coaching regarding accommodation matters to designated regional HR partners, managers and hiring teams. This position must understand Amazon business operations and have a deep understanding of federal and provincial disability policies and laws, in addition to the job accommodation processes. The Sr. Accommodation Consultant must demonstrate the ability to collaborate and advocate in order to achieve goals for the company. Sr. Accommodation Consultants develop innovative solutions and processes that impact DLS and our customers.
The Sr. Accommodation Consultant provides individual case management for sensitive accommodation needs during the pre-employment process, including implementation of accommodations to provide an accessible and inclusive experience for applicants and candidates. The individual in this role must have strong self-management skills, a desire to knowledge share and an ability to translate business needs and goals into human resource capabilities, producing favorable results for the company and our customers.
In addition, this person will exhibit exceptional communication and organizational skills, superior attention to detail and an ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment. This individual will demonstrate strong analytical and critical thinking skills, ability to influence and affect change with a customer service focus that stakeholders expect from Amazon.
· Provide information, referral, and support to job seekers, applicants and candidates with medical conditions or disabilities, hiring teams, Human Resources, and other partners at an escalated level to support Amazon’s diverse hiring efforts
· Operate as an advocate for the accommodations process by providing on-going consultative support to site stakeholders and accommodation consultants with a focus on problem solving and creative solutions.
· Deliver education and consultation to leaders and teams on disability etiquette for phone screenings, interviews, and onboarding new employees with disabilities.
· Provide consultation for stakeholder projects, creation of new software/tools, hiring process updates and developments.
· Develop content for stakeholder materials (for example, orientation materials, taglines for emails, website content)
· Consult, coordinate and partner with our third party administrators, HR, Safety, Legal, Travel, team members and other departments/systems as appropriate.
· Manage sensitive cases such as Behavioral Health conditions
· Monitor and follow up on accommodation implementation and ensure accommodation needs are met throughout candidate lifecycle.
· Communicate the accommodation decision, disseminate other relevant information to the applicant-candidate, and partner with appropriate stakeholder(s) for implementation
· Assist Human Resources and department supervisors in identifying key measures in application or interview assessments and essential marginal functions of employee positions during onboarding
· Conduct application, interview or job site analyses as needed during the pre-employment process.
· Maintain strict confidentiality in verbal and written communications
· Keep updated on legislation and national, state and local issues affecting access for applicants, candidates, and employees with disabilities.
· Document and maintain up-to-date case records, conduct appropriate research in applicant tracking systems and ensure accurate information on the computer database.
· Assess business unit’s training needs and/or group training sessions as appropriate
· Provide professional opinion and actions taken on behalf of disabled applicants or candidates in formal grievances, arbitration, depositions, and other forums as requested
· Adhere to internal SLAs and quality standards
· Maintain a caseload of up to 80 cases on average. Caseload may fluctuate during periods of high volume such as peak, prime day, new site launches, staffing changes, etc.
· Maintain regular, reliable and timely attendance
· Must be able to communicate to French speaking employees and government agencies in Quebec
· Ability to travel as appropriate (25-50% of the time) to business client groups to conduct trainings, perform research and analyses, as well as build strong professional relationships with key stakeholders.
· Performs related tasks as requested
· Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or any related field.
· 5 + years progressive case management experience applying the Canadian Human Rights Act using a case management system and establishing/executing a case management plan for complex level cases
· Fluent in speaking, reading and writing in French
· Knowledge of federal and provincial disability laws regarding access for employees with disabilities
· Technical proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Access, & PowerPoint and pulling data from multiple sources.
· PHR and or CPDM certification
· Experience providing support to applicants/candidates during the pre-employment process
· Experience handling negotiations
· Experience working with Vocational Rehabilitation and government programs
· Experience in union and non-union manufacturing, distribution and call center locations
· Experience working with confidential information
· Ability to build strong relationships and influence others while working in a cross functional environment, preferably with senior members of the business
· Ability to diagnose problems, identify and drive appropriate solutions
· Customer service and communication skills, both verbal and in writing.
· Critical thinking skills – ability to make independent decisions in grey areas utilizing SOPs and internal policies
· Ability to work with all levels of business contacts to include:
o Disabled employees
o Employee family members
o Claim adjusters
o Private investigators
o Case Managers
· Computer operating and database management skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.