Why you should work with us
At BCLC, we believe that our people are what makes us amazing so we are committed to our people. We have a culture of fun and hard work – it’s not unusual to see teams eating together at lunch in the cafeteria or heading outside for a walking meeting. We continue to have a highly engaged team and we’ve been named one of BC’s Top 50 Employers for over 10 years. Here are a few reasons why it’s great to be part of the team:
Why our Kamloops office rocks
The City of Kamloops offers a relaxed lifestyle with an abundance of recreational opportunities and a close-knit community of welcoming people. It has been home to the BCLC head office since 1985 and features:
The Senior Accountant delivers professional services and financial solutions to the organization. This role ensures that policies, programs, services and strategies are conceptualized, developed and implemented. The Senior Accountant will act as a consultative partner by providing expertise, analysis and advice to internal and external stakeholders to BCLC to enable the business to deliver on operational and financial reporting efficiently and effectively.
The Senior Accountant will perform all or some of the following duties:
• Understands, interprets, and explains financial accounting standards, corporate policies, procedures, standards and guidelines;
• Understands and explains the function of key business processes and systems;
• Performs complex analyses and operational reports which may have high-level or external audiences;
• Performs primary and secondary reviews of others’ work;
• Where departmentally appropriate performs/supports master data maintenance on financial operational systems;
• Acts as a subject matter expert;
• Researches, develops, and implements processes, policies, and procedures;
• Provides informal leadership through coaching and mentoring peers and other staff members;
• Proactively develops, maintains, and manages strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Writes accounting position papers and standards interpretation memos as required.
In addition to the Key Accountabilities, when working in Accounts Receivable this role:
• oversees and approves the capture and integrity of financial data;
• oversees the accurate collection and recording of revenues from retailers and service providers, and provides necessary internal and external reporting;
• provides analysis, trouble shooting, and resolution of accounting and system issues,
• provides training, and customer service.
• provides leadership, coaching, and support to staff.
• performs other duties as required
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Education and Experience
• An accredited professional accounting designation;
• Minimum five years of progressively responsible accounting experience;
• An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
• Advanced knowledge of principles of accounting with the ability to apply them in a practical way;
• Demonstrated ability to build strong and trusting relationships with managers, employees and peers;
• Advanced communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to present complex information in an easily understood manner tailoring the communication to diverse audiences to facilitate understanding;
• Exceptional time management and multi-tasking skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and work within established deadlines and time constraints;
• Ability to assist, direct and provide ongoing review, feedback and training on the operational activities of the accountants;
• Demonstrated ability to act on own initiative and exercise professional judgment;
• Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
• Proven leadership skills with the ability to be self-motivated, work independently, as well as being part of a team;
• Exceptional interpersonal and motivational skills;
• Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking/innovation;
• Working knowledge of corporate financial systems (SAP, Connect) ;
• Strong computer skills – MS office suite;
• Attention to detail.
Please Note: This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Please Note: Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada