Requisition ID: 92417
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Working with and reporting to the Director, GWI Audit, the incumbent will be primarily responsible for:
• Evaluating the design and operation of internal controls on assigned projects within the Global Wealth & Insurance audit universe.
• Acting as Officer-In-Charge for moderate to complex projects, processes and units.
• Ensuring department standards are met when completing all assignments / sections.
Champion a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
• Manage the planning of audits or assigned areas of moderate to high complexity, ensuring scope and extent of work is in accordance with the approved plan, timing and budget are reasonable, procedures are efficient, appropriate resources are assigned and risk understood.
• Develop a thorough understanding of the business, risks and processes for assigned projects.
• Develop and/or update Audit Project Outlines (APOs) and Detailed Audit Programs (DAPs) as required.
• Identify strategic changes planned / undertaken by the auditee that will impact the Audit Plan and corresponding risk assessment.
• Provide input for the Annual Audit Plan
AUDITING & EXECUTION:
• Determine the efficiency, effectiveness, integrity and reliability of internal controls in relation to defined control requirements by conducting the audit of assigned processes / units / projects.
• Execute and manage assigned activities independently in accordance with the department standards, ensuring the nature and extent of testing is sufficient and appropriate to support the audit opinion.
• When Officer-In-Charge, co-ordinate and manage resources to achieve appropriate risk-based coverage of the assigned area.
• Document / review all audit work performed using TeamMate (audit software) to ensure appropriate working papers are maintained and conform to department standards.
• Identify and assess materiality of control weaknesses ensuring facts are gathered and their full meaning is understood for moderate to highly complex projects.
• Identify underlying causes of control weaknesses and provide practical recommendations as to how they can be mitigated.
• Review audit findings from other participants for presentation to management.
• Follow-up on assigned issues in the Issue Tracking Database for timely resolution.
• Draft audit findings, reports and correspondence to management, ensuring writing is clear, concise and accurate.
• When OIC, review and edit reporting from other audit team members.
• Develop and maintain good relationships with key auditee and business line management.
• Provide input to Quarterly and Annual Audit reports.
• Comply with department established HR Management policies and procedures.
• Provide guidance and coaching to staff by providing direction and communicating expectations; impart specialized skills to other audit officers through peer discussions and cooperation on cross-functional audits, coaching and performance management.
• Prepare/review periodic staff feedback forms for projects during the year.
• Prepare periodic and annual performance self-assessments, personal goals and objectives for measurement of performance, a career development and training plan and monitor for achievement/completion.
• Continue self-development to expand or maintain an understanding of the business line’s key processes and business applications.
• Make presentations to other staff to share information for areas of specialization or information obtained in training programs and external courses.
The ideal candidate should have the following requisite skills/experience:
At least one of the following:
i) 5+ years experience in finance/accounting, asset/investment management, and/or insurance business in 1st or 2nd line.
ii) 5+ years internal / external audit experience ideally covering finance/accounting, asset management, brokerage, and/or Insurance.
• University degree ; accounting designation (CPA), and / or industry courses (CFA, CFP) an asset.
• Demonstrated excellent MS Word, Excel, and Visio skills.
• Demonstrated excellent accounting, financial analysis, and diagnostics skills including calculation, compilation, and reporting.
• Demonstrated ability to complete and analyze quantitative and qualitative research.
• Experience working with data analysis and visualization tools like Tableau, Access, and Power BI would be an asset.
• Knowledge of audit software tools (e.g. Teammate) would be an asset.
• Familiarity with OBI/Smartview would be an asset.
• The candidate should be a self-starter who is results-focused and motivated to learn.
• Highly organized, demonstrates a high degree of versatility, initiative, planning, personal resilience, and people/communication skills.
• Ability to lead staff on all engagements as required.
• Thorough ability to write clear, concise audit reports as well as internal and external communication.
• Spanish language capabilities would be an asset.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.