WHO WE ARE
Hamilton Duncan is one of the Fraser Valley’s largest and most well-established law firms, boasting a team of more than 30 talented lawyers and 60 excellent support staff. Located in Surrey – one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada – we provide high-end legal services to a wide variety of clients in an assortment of engaging and challenging matters across diverse areas of practice.
We pride ourselves on a commitment to our community and our collegial workplace. We want people who value a culture and management style that fosters collaboration and respect while rewarding individual responsibility, initiative and creativity and providing opportunities for further development.
WHO WE NEED
We are looking for an experienced litigation lawyer eager to take on significant responsibility and a leadership position within our civil and commercial litigation group.
This group routinely acts on oppression claims, winding-up proceedings, derivative claims, partnership disputes and other business ownership matters; contract claims; sale of goods matters; commercial real estate and commercial leasing disputes; debt recovery; insolvency issues and a wide variety of engaging matters faced by our business clients.
We want someone capable and comfortable managing challenging litigation matters from start to finish while demonstrating creativity, keen strategy, and diligence throughout to help our clients achieve the best possible litigation outcomes.
As a potential group leader, our ideal candidate will be a true team player capable of leading with confidence and effective delegation, one who enjoys and excels at motivating and guiding other lawyers while effectively administering their own practice and a team.
WHY YOU’LL WANT TO WORK WITH US
We ask a lot of our people, so we try to give a lot in return. In addition to a competitive salary, we think you’ll love these other benefits of working at Hamilton Duncan:
- Health and wellness: Take care of yourself and your family with our comprehensive benefits plan that includes extended medical, dental, vision, critical illness, and life insurance coverages, as well as an employee assistance program for those trying times.
- Location: If you live or choose to live in Surrey, you will definitely enjoy a cost of living that is significantly lower than Vancouver. If coming from outside the Surrey community, our highly accessible office location (adjacent to the Gateway SkyTrain station and close to several major commuter routes) makes getting to the office a breeze.
- Potential for Growth: If you strive towards a leadership role, the opportunity is here, and we would love nothing more than to develop your potential. Skills development is highly encouraged and is readily available through diversity of work and readily available professional development opportunities.
- Balance: While we expect hard work, our demands are not those of the large, downtown Vancouver firms. We value family and understand that outside interests are essential for the long-term enjoyment of one’s career in law.
WHO YOU ARE
To be considered for this role, your application should demonstrate the following:
- Experience: At least ten years as a lawyer in a civil litigation role (preferably with a focus on commercial or other complex civil litigation matters) or comparable experience.
- Education and Accreditation: Juris Doctor or equivalent and membership in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia.
- Skills: You must have a solid working knowledge of court rules and procedures and how to use them strategically to the advantage of our clients; significant courtroom experience, both in Chambers and in trial; familiarity with arbitrations in a commercial setting; excellent analytical and critical thinking skills; superior organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to handle a high volume of work with tight deadlines and exceptional attention to detail.
- Characteristics: You should be self-motivated and thrive on solving problems, both independently, and with the team. Given the demands of complex litigation, you need to be calm under pressure and eager to take on challenges. We take pride in the quality of our work, so we hope you do too. As a potential leader within the group, you should have the ability to establish a clear direction for others within the group and to work closely with leaders in other departments. You should embrace the opportunity to build strong relationships with the local business and legal communities.
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to advance your career and join our team at Hamilton Duncan, connect with us by emailing your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources Manager, Renu Bains, at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our firm and keep all applications on file in the event of future opportunities. Only those shortlisted for interviews for this position will be contacted as a part of this recruiting effort.