RSA is one of the world’s longest standing insurance groups, providing protection and peace of mind, for over 300 years, to more than nine million customers, worldwide.
Our people are ambitious, passionate and inquisitive, and driven by a need to deliver value and innovative solutions to our customers. We are proud of our organizational culture which encourages us to embrace each other’s strengths, and respect everyone’s ideas.
At RSA, our desire to be the best has created an exceptional company in which you can build and advance your career. RSA is proud to be ranked among Canada’s Top 100 employers in 2019 and 2020.
To join this award-winning team, and to learn more about us, visit our Careers page.
RSA, Johnson, CNS and Deeks are part of the RSA Group of Companies (“RSA”).
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to assume the role of Senior Underwriter, Specialty Energy Insurance to work in a dynamic environment within the Global Specialty Lines Division, Energy Team.
In this role you will utilize your technical skills, business savvy and track record of success to underwriting, marketing and promoting our property products offerings. You will get to showcase your expertise in areas such as underwriting, risk analysis and strategic thinking to help you recognize and capitalize on market opportunities.
What you will achieve in this role
• Underwrite new and renewal business by analyzing and assessing “Risk Managed” Accounts within the Commercial Specialty Energy team
• Keep abreast of market trends and conditions and provide market intelligence to senior management.
• Identify opportunities to improve broker and customer service within RSA Property Insurance lines of business.
• Monitor, review and modify existing risks in accordance with current company guidelines and market conditions.
• Negotiating terms and conditions with brokers for new and renewal commercial property insurance policies.
• Work closely with other business segments to deliver added profitability and growth in the product line.
• Be accountable for all aspects of the business including profitability, renewal retention, new business production, expense management and customer service including management of specialized account service plans.
• Follow the underwriting philosophy of the organisation.
• Adhere to the administrative, underwriting guidelines and processes of the Specialty Property team within GSL.
What you bring to this role
• 3 to 5 years of Commercial Energy underwriting experience would be preferred.
• Exposure to underwriting and servicing global exposures on Energy Accounts
• Experience working with national or large commercial brokers would be an asset
• Post-secondary education or working toward CIP, FCIP or CRM designation
• Robust understanding and knowledge of property energy policy forms and wordings
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to remain focused on priorities.
• Displays energy and enthusiasm in pursuit of their objectives and end results.
• Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with brokers, business partners and co-workers.
• A high level of initiative and the ability to solve problems quickly.
• Self-motivated and goal oriented.
• Demonstration of continuous improvement.
• Strong communication and negotiating skills.
• Solid knowledge & awareness of market conditions & trends.
• Proven computer skills to work effectively with an established underwriting team in a paperless environment.
• Ability to compare and evaluate coverage provided in manuscript property wordings versus what is provided through company forms
• Strong marketing and relationship building skills
• Experience with and comfort in negotiating with national brokers
What you'll receive
At RSA, our purpose is to Make Life Better Together and that starts with our people. We work side by side with driving energy and determination to get better every day, through industry leading thinking, and by listening to and respecting all perspectives. This is how our leaders and our people make an impact. We are forward looking, so we can adapt, evolve and improve, ultimately achieving our better, together. We are committed to creating an environment that promotes a healthy work-life balance. Our people managers and leaders successfully manage flexible work arrangements for their teams to ensure they are optimal for both the individual, and the business.
At RSA Canada, we are committed to creating a workplace where our employees thrive; where everybody counts and everyone is heard. Where you can be your whole self at work – wherever that is – everyday. To celebrate differences, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because we believe having a diverse workforce which embraces different perspectives makes RSA Canada a more vibrant and creative place to work.
RSA is an equal opportunity employer. We provide accommodation for individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you need assistance, please email AODA@RSAGROUP.CA. To learn more, visit our Accessibility page.