Language Designation: English Essential
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): ZZZ
Salary Range: $74852.60 to $93565.75
Position Status: Permanent Full Time
This position reports to the Property Valuation and Risk Modelling (PVRM) team, which is part of the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) sector. The CRO sector enables each employee to embrace strategic risks within established limits. More specifically, the PVRM team:
• Applies predictive analytics in property valuation (e.g., Automated Valuation Models) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
• Utilizes innovative data science approaches and methodologies/techniques (e.g., machine learning, spatial econometrics) to build workflows and/or models for property risking.
• Conducts research and analysis of property sales, market trends, economic factors and other factors influencing property values and risk.
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. You will apply quantitative skills and knowledge of Canada’s financial /mortgage sectors to modelling initiatives at CMHC, including model development, model validation and the interpretation of model results with the ultimate purposes of informing decision making, enhancing risk management and building automated systems. This will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
• Postgraduate degree or higher in a quantitative discipline, such as finance, mathematics, economics, statistics, spatial data science/analytics.
• Minimum of three years of experience in modelling or quantitative analytics at a bank, insurance company or other type of financial or property valuation institution.
• Strong understanding of risk management.
• Good understanding of Canada's financial sector and real estate markets.
• Ability to work in a sophisticated technological environment utilizing various modelling and programming tools.
• Creative analytical ability.
• Good writing and presentation skills.
• Good project management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to conduct rigorous analysis using critical thinking and judgement to resolve complex issues.
• Extensive experience on property valuation, spatial/non-spatial econometric modelling, and GIS
• Hands-on experience on data science (for example, machine learning), advanced analytics (using R, Python, SAS), big data ecosystems (for example, Hadoop, HDFS, Map/Reduce, Hive, Spark) would be considered an asset.
What you will be doing
• Apply modelling expertise and business knowledge to analyze current issues.
• Help stakeholders use models and interpret model results.
• Monitor operating environments to ensure models and analytics properly reflect current market dynamics.
• Ensure that models are appropriately documented.
• Ensure models are subject to appropriate controls, including change management protocols.
• Ensure the sustainability of automated systems and tools and their respective conformity to business specifications.
Model Development and Implementation
• Co-develop models to inform business decisions and analysis; models are used for purposes such as underwriting, property valuation/risk, pricing, and other automated systems and tools.
• Co-maintain models throughout their life cycle in accordance with CMHC's model risk policy and industry best practice.
• Support model development projects by participating in multidisciplinary teams whose members may include other model internal/external developers or validators and model users.
• Set up a framework to monitor model performance metrics and the operationalization of model risk.
• Support the migration of models from development to production system environments.
• Maintain and apply expert knowledge of best practices and recent advances in quantitative methods and analytical techniques.
• Conduct data mining and big data analyses using state-of-the-art methods. Monitors updates and integrity of data and databases.
• Monitor market trends, economic conditions and other factors that influence financial and mortgage sectors.
• Ensure models respond to the needs of model users and other stakeholders.
• Maintain relationships with internal and external partners to ensure the bidirectional knowledge transfer required to develop validate and implement models using the state-of-the-art methods and technology.
• Ensure that model users and other stakeholders understand the models and their limitations.
People Leadership (human relations skills)
• Important - Understanding, influencing and/or serving people are important considerations in causing actions or acceptance by others.
Does this sound like you?
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Posting closing date: Note, the competition may remain active until filled.
Job Requisition ID: 4337
Primary Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Other Location(s): Halifax, Montréal, Québec, Toronto, Calgary & Vancouver
Security Requirement: Secret
Travel Requirement: Limited